Speaker: Pastor Jay Childs
Scripture: Mark 8:27-9:50
Series: The Gospel of Mark
- The Confession (vv. 8:27-9:1)
- The Confirmation (vv. 9:2-32)
- The Call (vv. 9:33-50)
GETTING TO KNOW ME
Did you take the tithing challenge? If so, how is it going so far?
INTO THE BIBLE
- Read Mark 8:27-30.
- What was the theme of the sermon? What were the main points?
- Why did Jesus ask His disciples this question? What was His point?
- Why did He ask this question in this exact location?
- Who is Jesus? How would you answer this for an unbeliever? (Other verses?)
- Read Mark 8:31-9:1.
- Why would a suffering Messiah be so shocking to a Jew?
- What does it mean—in practical terms—to “take up your cross”?
- Why is an understanding of Jesus’ identity so important for suffering well?
- In verse 36, what does it mean to “gain the world and lose your soul”? How do we do this?
- Read Mark 8:38.
- Read Matthew 26:47-51. Why did Judas’ actions exclude him from Heaven?
- Read Matthew 26:69-75. Why did Peter’s action not exclude him from Heaven?
- Read Mark 9:2-32.
- What is the significance of Moses and Elijah appearing in this passage?
- How do these stories confirm Jesus as Messiah? Why is this so important?
- How does our view of Jesus authority impact our decision-making?
- Read Mark 9:33-50.
- Read Genesis 3:6-13. Discuss the origins of self-centeredness. WHy are we so self-centered and selfish?
- How is pride related to seflishness?
- Read Daniel 4:28-33. Why does God hate pride so much?
What is a decision that you need to make and follow through on but have been putting off?