Speaker: Pastor Jay Childs
Scripture: Revelation 20 & 21
Series: Your Ever After
GETTING TO KNOW ME
Did you grow up believing in a literal heaven and hell? How did it impact you?
INTO THE BIBLE
- Read Matthew 5:21-22, 29-20, 10:26-28, 25:40-46.
Why do you think Jesus spoke so often about hell?
- Read Revelation 20:10-15.
What is being described here? What is the "lake of fire?" Is it eternal?
- Discuss: How can God be loving if there is an eternal hell?
- Read 2 Thessalonians 1:5-10.
How does Paul describe the final judgment and the final state of the wicked?
- Discuss: What should we be teaching our children and grandchildren about hell?
- Read Matthew 11:20-24.
• Discuss: Will there be degrees of reward and punishment in heaven and hell? Why? Why not?
• (cf Wayne Grudem; Systematic Theology; chapters 56 & 57)
- Read Revelation 21:1-18.
How does John describe the "new earth?"
- Read John 14:1-4.
What is the “place” Jesus is preparing for us? Evidence?
- Discuss: What excites you the most about the new earth?
- Read Matthew 7:13-14, John 14:6.
Discuss: Is Jesus really the only path to eternal life?
- Read 2 Peter 3:11-13.
Discuss: How should the doctrine of last things impact us?
Discuss the statement by theologian Miroslav Volf:
“God is not loving in spite of his wrath; He is loving because of His wrath.”
—Free of Charge (Zondervan)