Speaker: Pastor Jay Childs
Scripture: Mark 4:35-5:43
Series: The Gospel of Mark
- Authority over Nature (vv. 4:35-41)
- Authority over Demons (vv. 5:1-20)
- Authority over Death and Disease (vv. 5:21-43)
GETTING TO KNOW ME
What is something that you are earnestly praying for right now?
INTO THE BIBLE
- What were the main points of the sermon? How do these offer encouragement to you?
- Read Mark 4:35-41. Discuss how fear can get a foothold in our lives.
- Read Philippians 4:6-8. What does Paul say here? How does it relate to fear?
- Read Mark 5:1-20. Rummage around in Mark. How many demon stories can you find?
- Discuss the common theme in each of these stories:
- Why is the realm of demons generally ignored by Western Christians?
- What are ways some Christians can overly emphasize demons in their daily lives?
- Read Mark 5:21-43. Read out loud any footnotes that your study Bible may offer.
- Why does Jesus say twice in this section, “Who touched Me?” What is Mark getting at?
- Does the Bible always promise physical healing? Why? Why not? (Texts to consider: Exodus 4:11; Luke 13:10-13; John 5:7-8, 9:1-12; Psalm 119:67, 71; James 5:13-16. Compare Isaiah 53:4 and Matthew 8:17).
What is an area in which you have experienced the authority of Jesus?
If you are saved, have you been baptized after your conversion? How does your answer demonstrate your view of Jesus’ authority in your life?