Speaker: Pastor Jay Childs
Scripture: 1 Corinthians 7
Series: Family Matters
- Straight Talk about Marriage (vv. 1-9)
- Straight Talk about Divorce (vv. 10-24)
- Straight Talk about Being Single (vv. 25-40)
GETTING TO KNOW ME
- Did you listen to the sermon?
- What are you most looking forward to in your Community Group?
INTO THE BIBLE
- Read Genesis 2:15-25. How is Eve a “suitable helper” for Adam? Were Adam and Eve literal people?
- Read Malachi 2:10-16. Why does the Bible use such strong language about divorce? Discuss. Why does the Bible call marriage a “covenant”? What does this mean?
- Read Matthew 19:1-11. Summarize and discuss what Jesus teaches about marriage and divorce here. When is divorce permitted? When is it not permitted? Why?
- What role can “empty nesters” and older couples play in the lives of singles? Younger married couples?
- Read 1 Corinthians 6:12-20. Why is any form of sexual activity, outside of marriage, sinful? Why is sexual activity outside of marriage so destructive to us personally?
- Read 1 Corinthians 7:1-6. What are Paul’s instructions to husbands and wives about sexual relations?
- Read 1 Corinthians 7:25-35. What are some benefits of staying single?
- How is singleness viewed in the church today?
- Look through 1 Corinthians 7 again. Under what circumstances, biblically, is someone free to remarry?
- Read Ephesians 5:22-33. What are Paul’s instructions to husbands? To wives? What are the benefits?
Spend time praying for singles and married couples in your group.