Speaker: Pastor Jay Childs
Scripture: 1 Corinthians 16:1-4
Series: God & Money
- Who Should Give?
- When Should We Give?
- How Much Should We Give?
- Where Should We Give?
GETTING TO KNOW ME
Have you listened to any of the “prosperity preachers” on TV? If so, what did you think?
INTO THE BIBLE
- Read Genesis 14:20 and 28:22. Why do you think Abram and Jacob chose to give the amount of “a tenth”?
- Tithing appears before the Mosaic Law. It is part of God’s expectations for all time? Why or why not?
- Read Matthew 19:21. What does it mean to have “treasure in Heaven”? How do we get this?
- Read Deuteronomy 14:22-27. Summarize what Moses is saying. Why does he command tithing?
- In light of 1 Corinthians 16:1-4, how is the New Testament even more radical than the Old Testament?
- Read 2 Corinthians 8:1-4. What does Paul mean, “they gave . . . beyond their ability”?
- Read Malachi 3:8-10. What does God promise to faithful tithers here? Why? Who is cursed?
- Read Luke 11:42. Jesus mentions tithing here; what is His point?
- Read Matthew 6:21. What does it mean, “wherever your treasure is—there is your heart also”?
- Why is tithing so weak in the American church? Should we tithe gross or net?
How did you make your decision about what amount of money to regularly give EFCCL?