Speaker: Pastor Jay Childs
Scripture: Daniel 1
Series: Daniel: Finding Hope in Our Faithful God
- Remember God Is Sovereign over the Nations
- Remember God Is Sovereign over Our Lives
Today’s message is the first in a 9-part series in the book of Daniel. Discussion questions for this series are available—along with audio and video archives of the Sunday sermons—here on the website or via our free mobile app (visit app.efccl.org for download links). Sign up here if you’d like to receive the discussion questions via email or stop by the Information Center each week for a print copy.
The discussion questions will be published every Sunday between January 5 and March 16. Starting March 23 (Spring Break for local schools), there will be no more questions published until the beginning of our fall series.
GETTING TO KNOW ME
Have you ever moved from one town, state, or country to another? Share cultural differences that you have experienced and how you felt.
INTO THE BIBLE
- Read Daniel chapter 1 out loud. Observations?
- What is the setting of Daniel’s life? (i.e. Writing from where? Writing to whom? Why?)
- What are the two reminders about God in the first chapter? Discuss how this gives courage and hope.
- Why do liberal scholars not believe that Daniel wrote in the 6th century B.C.?
- Discuss how God’s sovereignty is the primary lesson in Daniel’s book. How does this come out?
- Read Isaiah 40:18-31. Discuss how passages like this keep our view of God “Big.” What are some other passages that remind us of God’s sovereignty? His power?
- A secondary lesson in Daniel is the importance of obedience. Read Daniel 1:8 and 3:13-18.
- Read 1 John 2:3-6. What does it mean if there is not a pattern of obedience in our lifestyle?
- Read 2 Corinthians 13:5. What does Paul tell us to do here? Why? How do we do this?
In what situations are you tempted to forget how Big God is? What can you do about it?