Speaker: Pastor Marty Voltz
Scripture: John 1:35-51
What makes a "great invitation" great?
- The nature of the invitation is to "come and see":
- It's an invitation to the true seeker (vv. 35-37).
- It's an invitation to honest inquiry (vv. 46-47).
- It's the invitation of one who can bear close scrutiny (v. 39).
- The results of accepting this invitation:
- If we come, we risk being convinced (vv. 41, 45).
- If we come, we must be ready for intimacy.
- If we come to Him, we risk self-disclosure (vv. 42, 47).
- If we come to Him, we must be ready for more than we dreamed of (vv. 38-41, 46-49).
- The rewards that await those who say "yes" to Jesus' invitation:
- The results we fear are the very rewards that we will receive.
- Something we can be certain of.
- Someone who truly loves us.
- Someone who knows and understands us.
- Something bigger than we've even dreamed of.
Personal application: A "great invitation" calls for a thoughtful response.