WHAT IS BAPTISM?
Baptism is a public declaration of what has happened in the life of a follower of the Lord Jesus Christ. In this sense, it is similar to a graduation ceremony in high school or college. The ceremony itself does not entitle a person to graduate; the ceremony is simply a time to publicly declare what has already happened—namely, that the person has completed four years of education. Likewise, baptism does not entitle a person to salvation.
The act of baptism is a time to declare what has already happened—that a person has repented and entrusted his or her life to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. By going under the water, we identify with Christ’s death and burial; being lifted out of the water, we identify with His resurrection (see Romans 6:3-5).
WHY SHOULD I CONSIDER BAPTISM?
Jesus commands Christians to be identified with Him through the waters of baptism. Look at what the Bible says:
Jesus told his followers to “make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit” (Matthew 28:19).
The early church taught and practiced baptism (see Acts 2:38, 41; 8:12; 10:47-48):
- “Repent and be baptized, every one of you.”
- “Those who accepted his message were baptized.”
- “When they believed the good news of the kingdom of God, they were baptized.”
- “Can anyone keep these people from being baptized with water? They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have. So he ordered that they be baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ.”
Our church believes that people—those who have trusted in Jesus Christ and what He accomplished on the cross as their only hope of salvation—should be obedient to what the Bible says and be baptized (see Matthew 28:19-20 and Acts 10:44-48).
WHAT IS THE BAPTISM PROCESS AT EFCCL?
- Attend a baptism class.
- Submit a baptism application and your written testimony.
- Discuss your application and testimony with a pastor.
- Publicly share your testimony at the baptism service.
Our next baptism classes will be August 6 and August 13. Click on the link below to sign up for our next class!