Speaker: Pastor Jay Childs
Scripture: Mark 11:1-26
Series: The Gospel of Mark
- Jesus as King (vv. 1-11)
- Jesus as Judge (vv. 12-26)
GETTING TO KNOW ME
What is one of your earliest misconceptions about Jesus?
INTO THE BIBLE
- Read Matthew’s version of Jesus’ triumphal entry (Matthew 21:1-11).
- Read the background to this in Zechariah 9:9-13.
- Where is the Mount of Olives in relation to Jerusalem and the Temple?
- What was the purpose of this event in the life of Jesus?
- Why is Jesus suddenly a rock star?
- What did the people want from Jesus? What did they get?
- What’s the lesson for us today?
- In what ways is Jesus “popular” today? In what ways is He not?
- Read Mark 11:12-19.
- Why would Jesus curse a tree? What was going on here?
- Selling sacrificial animals and exchanging currency were normal events at the Temple. Why did Jesus get so angry then?
- Read Isaiah 11:17. What does the Bible mean when it says “all nations”/”all peoples”?
- Read Psalm 67. How is the Bible’s concept of “nation” frequently different than ours?
- Read Isaiah 19:19-25.
- How does this passage reveal God’s missionary heart for all nations?
- Why would this passage be so utterly shocking to Jews?
- What does this tell us about God’s plans for the nations? What should our response be?
- Read Mark 11:20-25.
- How do you explain 2 Corinthians 12:7-9 in light of Mark 11:24? Why was Paul’s request refused?
- How could Mark 11:24 be misused? How would you explain this to someone who was confused?
- What is the warning here about holding grudges? What does Jesus mean in verse 25?
Have each person (or couple) pray out loud for someone in their lives who is not saved.