Speaker: Pastor Jay Childs
Scripture: Romans 3, 5, & John 5
Series: Your Ever After
GETTING TO KNOW ME
- Why do you think reincarnation is so popular with so many Americans – even Christians?
INTO THE BIBLE
What is the purpose of reincarnation according to those who believe in it?
How does it address the sin problem? How do grace & karma differ?
- Read Romans 5:1-11 / How does Paul describe the atonement here?
How is it the final solution for sin? How does it refute reincarnation?
- Read Hebrews 2:17; 1 Peter 3:18; 1 John 2:1-2, 4:10
• What are the benefits of Jesus’ death described in these passages?
• What is “propitiation”? (cf Grudem’s Systematic Theology – Zondervan - chapter 27)
• How does the death of Christ bring us to God?
• Does the death of Jesus automatically reconcile everyone with God? Why? Why not?
• What must a person do (specifically) to be saved?
- Read John 5:28-30 & 1 Corinthians 15:35-44
Resurrection of the body or reincarnation? Discuss.
- Is the next life physical? Why? Why not? What will the New Earth be like?
- How does Jesus’ resurrection contradict reincarnation? Discuss.
- Read John 19:30 – discuss what this verse means in context.
How does this answer reincarnation?
- What are some other theories of the atonement of Christ?
(cf Grudem’s Systematic Theology – Zondervan - Chapter 27)
- Read Romans 3:25-26
How does the death of Jesus satisfy the justice of God against sin?
- Read Romans 8:1 & Hebrew 9:27-28 - How do these verses refute reincarnation? Discuss
How should the doctrine of the atonement affect our daily Christian lives?
Parents, we are pleased to include a “Family Focus” section to the Community Group questions. Our goal is to assist you in taking what you have learned through the sermon and discussed in community and “bring it home” to your family.
- Read 2 Peter 3:10-13 and Revelation 20:11-15.
What information do these verses contribute to the coming judgment?
- Christians do not face the coming wrath of God (1 Thessalonians 1:10).
Are there rewards for followers of Christ?
(Look at 1 Corinthians 3:11-15; 2 Timothy 4:8; James 1:12)