Speaker: Pastor Jay Childs
Scripture: Mark 2:1-3:12
Series: The Gospel of Mark
- Forgiveness from Sin (vv. 2:1-17)
- Freedom from Legalism (vv. 2:18-3:12)
GETTING TO KNOW ME
Did you take up the Tithing Challenge? Why or why not?
INTO THE BIBLE
- Read Mark 2:1-3:12 out loud together, dividing up sections among the group.
- What were the main points of the sermon?
- Read Mark 2:7. How was their reason correct here? Who was Jesus claiming to be?
- Jesus often made extreme claims. Look at a few others and describe what He is claiming in each text. Read John 5:22-24, 8:48-58, and 14:1-6. Read Mark 2:10 and Daniel 7:13-14 (what title does Jesus claim; what does it mean?).
- Why are the claims of Jesus a big deal? (Read John 8:24.) What’s at stake?
- Discuss how people misunderstand the doctrine of justification: declared forgiven of all sins—past, present, and future—and forever secure in God’s love and grace.
- In Mark 2:23-3:6, Jesus refers to the Sabbath several times. What is this? (Read Exodus 20:8-11.)
- What parts of the Jewish Sabbath no longer apply?
- What aspect still applies to all Christians? Why? How?
What is an area where you’ve struggled with legalism? How did you break free?