Speaker: Pastor Tim Bruns
Scripture: Colossians 1:9-14
- The Reason for the Prayer
- The Request of the Prayer
- The Result from the Prayer
- Epilogue: All Because of the Rescue
GETTING TO KNOW ME
Briefly describe a person, book, or event that has impacted your prayer life.
INTO THE BIBLE
- Paul says in Colossians 1:19 that “for this reason” he prays for the church at Colosse. What was (were) the reason(s)?
- The Scriptures urge God’s people to “pray continually.” (See 1 Samuel 12:23; Luke 18:1-8; Acts 10:1-10, 12:5; Ephesians 6:18; 1 Thessalonians 5:17; and 2 Thessalonians 1:11.) Certainly the Lord can answer a prayer after the first time it is uttered (Daniel 9:23), so what is the purpose of, what are we to learn from, or what is the value for Christians being diligent in praying?
- It appears that some in the Colossian church were following after false knowledge (Colossians 2:8, 18, 21-23). Paul sought to combat that with the teaching them the right kind of knowledge (1:25-27, 2:2-3). What are some of the human commands and teachings that the church faces today? How do we fight against them? Discuss. Then also read Romans 12:2 and Hebrews 5:14.
- Look at the following verses for what Jesus Christ has done for believers through His finished work on the cross—Colossians 1:12-14, 22-23; 2:9-14. Which of these speaks most powerfully to your own heart at this stage of your Christian life?
- In this prayer, Paul says Christians share in the inheritance of the saints. Look at Romans 8:16-18, Galatians 4:4-7, 1 Peter 1:3-5, and 1 John 3:1-3. Discuss the further implications of our inheritance in Christ Jesus.
Many of the recorded prayers in Scripture are God-centered prayers. A great way to help us keep our own prayers focused on the Lord is to use verses from His Word. Develop a list of at least a dozen Bible passages that will help guide your prayer life. Use two or three of them this week as you pray for yourself, those closest to you, and for our church. Here are some suggestions to get you started; come up with more as a group:
- John 15:5, 8, 10
- Romans 16:5-6, 13
- 1 Corinthians 1:4-9, 10:11-13
- 2 Corinthians 12:9-10
- Galatians 6:9-10
- Ephesians 1:17-19
- Philippians 1:9-11
- 1 Thessalonians 1:6-7, 3:12-13
- 1 Timothy 4:12
- James 1:2-5