Speaker: Pastor Jay Childs
Scripture: Daniel 5
Series: Daniel: Finding Hope in Our Faithful God
- A Night of Revelry (vv. 1-4)
- A Night of Revelation (vv. 5-29)
- A Night of Retribution (vv. 30-31)
GETTING TO KNOW ME
- Whom do you know that you consider truly humble? Describe them to your Community Group.
- Pride is one of the Seven Deadly Sins. What are the other six? Why do you think these seven are lumped together so often?
INTO THE BIBLE
- Read Daniel 5:1-12. Who is Belshazzar? Why, specifically, is he so terrified?
- Read Daniel 5:17-24. Describe Daniel’s approach here, prior to interpreting the “divine graffiti.”
- Read Daniel 5:25-31. What is the divine interpretation of these three different Aramaic nouns?
- In what areas are you most tempted to be proud (e.g., children, career, income, looks, etc.)?
- Read 2 Corinthians 12:1-10. What do you think Paul’s “thorn” was? How was it a gift from God? Have you had a similar gift from God? What was it? How did you respond?
- Read John 13:1-17. How many lessons can you find in this section on serving others?
- Read Isaiah 31:1-16. Describe the rebuke given here. Why was it given? What is the warning?
- Read 2 Kings 5:1-12. Discuss how Namaan’s pride almost sabotaged his healing from God. Can you think of an example of pride interfering with God’s blessing on your life?
- Read Psalm 139:13-18. How is this an antidote for pride? What are some other helpful Psalms?
- Read Nahum 3:1-7. Discuss how Ninevah’s pride in its military strength brought it down.
- Read Mark 9:33-37. How do we do what Jesus is saying here (i.e., make ourselves last)?
- Read Mark 10:35-45. Describe the pride displayed in this passage—and Jesus’ response.
- What are some ways you can kill pride in your life?