Speaker: Pastor Jay Childs
Scripture: Malachi 2:17-3:5
Series: Malachi: God's Unchanging Love
- Questioning God's Justice (2:17)
- A Reminder about God's Messiah (3:1)
- A Reminder about God's Justice (3:2-5)
GETTING TO KNOW ME
What do you think of when you think of God's wrath? Did you hear about this growing up?
INTO THE BIBLE
- Read Matthew 25: Look over this passage in detail.
- Who gains eternal life? Who does not?
- What are the criteria for those welcomed into eternal life?
- Is Jesus teaching that we earn our salvation by doing good deeds? Why? Why not?
- Discuss details you learn in v. 41 about hell.
- Why is a day of coming judgment so difficult for our culture to accept?
- Read 2 Thessalonians 1:6-10. Describe this future day of judgment that Paul writes about.
- Is the language of hell literal? Why? Why not?
- How do you react to passages like this?
- Read Revelation 20:7-15.
- What will happen to Satan? How long will it last? What is the nature of his punishment?
- What is “the book” that is opened in v. 12? Are there any other references to it in the Bible?
- Will those who go to hell be conscious or unconscious? Why?
- How is hell described in these verses?
- Read Revelation 21:1-8.
- Describe the scene here. What does John see? Describe what happens to death, pain, and sorrow.
- Read v. 6 and note that God the Father is speaking. Who is speaking in Revelation 1:17-18?
- How do these two texts establish that Jesus is God? Be specific.
Discuss the following statement by theologian Miroslav Volf: “God is not loving in spite of His wrath; He is loving because of His wrath” (Free of Charge, Zondervan).