Speaker: Pastor Jay Childs
Scripture: Malachi 1:6-2:9
Series: Malachi: God's Unchanging Love
- Offering Worthless Sacrifices (vv. 1:6-14)
- Not Fearing God (vv. 2:1-6)
- Teaching and Tolerating False Doctrine (vv. 2:7-9)
GETTING TO KNOW ME
- Have you ever read the Bible from cover to cover?
- When did you first hear the true gospel?
INTO THE BIBLE
- Read Matthew 7:13-23. What is Jesus warning us about here? Who are these people?
- Read Malachi 1:11-14. What is going on here? What is “counterfeit faith”?
- Read Matthew 13:18-23. What are the four kinds of soils? Which one is genuine?
- Read James 1:19-24. What is the danger James is discussing here? How does it look today?
- Is James saying that salvation is by works? Why? Why not?
- Why does the Bible seem so intent on warning us about being a false disciple?
- Read 2 Corinthians 13:5. What is Paul urging us to do here? Be specific.
- Read John 10:25-30 and Romans 8:37-39. Can a genuine believer in Christ ever lose their salvation? Why? Why not? (See Grudem’s Systematic Theology, chapter 40, for a good discussion on this.)
- Read 1 John 2:1-6. Who is the one who really knows Jesus? How can we tell?
- What is the gospel? How can we know if we are really saved (cf. 1 John)?
- Do these kinds of warning passages shake your assurance of salvation? Why? Why not?
- When is the last time you shared the true gospel with someone?