Speaker: Pastor Jay Childs
Scripture: Proverbs 1:1-7
Series: Family Matters
- The Command to Discipline
- Guidelines for Discipline
GETTING TO KNOW ME
How was discipline handled in your family growing up? What have you imitated? Dispensed with?
INTO THE BIBLE
- Read Deuteronomy 6:1-9. Summarize what the Bible is teaching about training our children.
- Read Jeremiah 17:9, Isaiah 59:2, and Romans 3:10-20. What is the human condition before God?
- How does the doctrine of sin affect parenting? Be specific.
- How seriously do (did) you take the doctrine of sin when it comes to your parenting?
- Read Proverbs 23:13-14 and 29:15, 17. Summarize the Bible’s teaching on discipline in these verses.
- Read Colossians 3:20. What is God’s will for children? What does this mean? Not mean?
- Read Exodus 20:12. What does it mean to “honor” father and mother? How serious is a violation of this?
- How does “honoring” change as children grow older? When does “obeying” cease as part of honoring?
- Read Proverbs 22:15. Why should discipline be punitive? Discuss what this means and what it does not mean.
- Why do children need to be evangelized? How should they be evangelized? When?
- What is the gospel? How should it be explained to children/grandchildren?
How can your Community Group pray for you with regard to parenting, grandparenting, and/or surrogate parenting?